Guest Blogger - the30girl - Felt Flower Headbands



Hello Someday Crafts readers! I'm Katie from
and I'm excited to be here sharing a tutorial with you and introducing you lovely readers to my blog. On January 5th, I will be celebrating my one year blog anniversary; I started blogging to have a place to inspire and be inspired and to keep a record of what I'm doing here and now. Over this past year, so many opportunities (like a monthly television segment!) and internet friendships have developed through blogging; I can't believe I never started sooner!.

Today I'm here to share a tutorial for making felt flowers that can be used for making a myriad of accessories. I'll show you how to use them to make a headband.

If you've never visited the30girl, I tend to post crafts & DIY projects(with an emphasis on re-purposing/recycling), recipes, outfits, and inspiring things. Lately, I've been posting on holiday-focused for my 30 holiDAYS series. Here are a few of my favorite tutorials.



&

one for the season...



Now for today's tutorial! Recently, I participated in the Spread the Cheer holiday gift exchange and made these three gifts of assorted brooches, rings and headbands.



They turned out so cute and wearable that I wanted to share my simple how-to!

We are making the cream and olive headband today.


Step 1 & 2: Gather your felt (at least 35% wool), circle stencils, disappearing ink marker or chalk, and scissors. Trace around your circles; then, using the trace mark as a size guide, draw an amoeba shape.

Step 3: Cut out your three amoebas, two small and one medium.


Step 4: Cut the amoebas into long spiraled strips. (Note: The first couple of times I did this, I drew out the spiral just to make sure I got the hang of it.)

Step 5: You will end up with three strips of wavy, spiraled felt.

Step 6 & 7: Starting from the inner-end of the spiral, begin rolling the felt and hot gluing it into place as you go. (Note: I always roll it up without hot gluing first to see if I need to do any trimming to the felt "petals".) You see, the wavy spiral makes the petals in the flowers. So simple, yet so cool.

Step 8: After hot gluing each spiral, you will end up with three flowers for your headband.

Step 9 through 12: Using transparent monofilament nylon thread and small beads of your choice, stitch the beads in the center of each flower. (Note: You can use three beads in each flower for a more intricate look.)

Almost finished.


Step 13 & 14: It's time to glue the flowers to the headband. First, I glue the three flowers together. Then, I cut a piece of felt the same size as the flowers, place the flowers face down, spread the hot glue, place the headband and, finally, the backer.

Now it's time to wear or gift your new headband!


I love felt for winter! You can also use this same technique to make brooches, hair clips, rings, and more (I think I'm going to stitch some to a pair of wrist gloves). Feel free to contact me with any questions! Thanks so much for having me, Michelle and I'd love for you,-wonderful readers- to visit my blog - the30girl.
Thanks, Katie! Those felt flower headbands/rings/brooches would be super easy and quick to make for last minute Christmas gifts! I can think of a few people on my list who would love them. Visit the30girl for some great inspiration. I'm drooling over her Peppermint Truffle Pops!


post signature